Nursery Construction

On September 27th, 2018, Will and I welcomed our first little babe into the world, William Michael Easton Carter. When we found out we were expecting, the need to finish one of the rooms in our old farmhouse quickly became apparent. Will went into fast forward mode to complete the section of our house that would become Easton’s nursery. It might be one of my favorite rooms in the house. White ship lap, built-ins, and neutral colors. What more could I ask for?

Our house was built in 1890 and had some major foundational issues when we first found it. However, we loved the character that came with this house and the beautiful land that it sat on. A post about the foundation issues will be coming soon. Here is a little sneak peak!

It was a major project that also effected the area that we turned into Easton’s nursery. In fact, his nursery started a lot like the photo above only Will corrected the issues instead of professionals. Once the house was somewhat level and foundationally sound, we were able to begin work in Easton’s room.

We started by tearing down a wall and building a new wall to create a larger space for Easton’s room. The wall that we tore down separated a small office area and large hallway-type area. We weren’t sure what the area was used for but it had no windows and it was an odd area so the room wasn’t very useful for us.

This is the odd shaped hallway looking into the small office area.

Will built the new wall first before tearing down the old wall. This helped keep the dust from traveling to the rest of the house.

Here is the room with the old wall completely gone and the new wall built to create a nice, big room.

We found some amazing old beams that were original to the farmhouse.

Not only did Will make the room bigger, he also had to level the floors. If you look at the photo above, the flooring that was in the hallway was much higher than the floor in the office area. Not only were the floors different levels but they were also uneven. Did I mention the ceiling was also uneven? Will had to tear down the ceiling and put new sister boards up to level the ceiling. Then, he did the same thing with the floor while also making it level with the existing floor from the hallway. I’m glad I married a handy engineer!

Check out how amazing it turned out after all of Will’s skills!  We did hire a professional to do the mudding for us once drywall was up. We did not have time nor the patience to do a decent mudding job. Anyone who does mudding, I give you props cause that ish is hard! I’m so glad we hired professionals though because it turned out amazing and there are no visible seems!

Once the mudding was complete, we started the ship lap. We were lucky enough to have some family members help out with the ship lap. Will ended up buying using a foam board as a template. He then sanded down the edges and used a nail gun to install the boards. He used nickels to get the correct spacing between each board. Once the shiplap was up, we used wood filler to fill the nail holes and caulk around the ceiling and floor boards.

Once the shiplap was installed and caulked, the painting process began. We ended up buying a paint gun to help get paint into the nooks and crannies of the shiplap as well as all of the spaces and doors of the built-ins. I am so glad we got a paint sprayer for this project! It did take a few more coats but the paint went on beautifully and still saved us time. I was originally worried about the over spray a paint gun might have but it actually wasn’t bad at all! Once Will was done spray painting, I began painting the walls a medium gray color. It turned out perfect! I have a tendency to pick grays with blue tints and I wanted a more warm gray for this area. I think the tone of this gray worked well!

Once painting was done, we had carpet installed and attached new hardware to the built-ins. We were able to capture a clean modern farmhouse look. Design details coming soon!

Kate